- Research Fellow, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, National University of Singapore, Singapore
- Email: ceehys @ nus.edu.sg
- Hosts: Dr. Yunyue (Elita) Li and Dr. Haizhao Yang
- Research focus: Mathematics of data science and numerical linear algebra
- Doctor of Philosophy in Mathematics, University of Oxford, 2018
- Thesis: Preconditioning for Toeplitz-Related Systems
- Supervisor: Prof. Andrew Wathen
- Master of Philosophy in Mathematics, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 2014
- Thesis: A Cell Based Particle Method for Modelling Dynamic Interfaces
- Supervisor: Prof. Shingyu Leung
- Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, 2012
- S. Hon, S. Serra-Capizzano, and A. Wathen, Band-Toeplitz preconditioners for ill-conditioned nonsymmetric Toeplitz systems, submitted.
- S. Hon and A. Wathen, Numerical investigation of the spectral distribution of Toeplitz-function sequences, Springer INdAM Series, accepted.
- P. Ferrari, I. Furci, S. Hon, M. Mursaleen, and S. Serra-Capizzano, The eigenvalue distribution of special 2-by-2 block matrix sequences, with applications to the case of symmetrized Toeplitz structures, SIAM J. Matrix Anal. Appl. 40(3), 1066-1086, 2019.
- S. Hon, M. Mursaleen, and S. Serra-Capizzano, A note on the spectral distribution of symmetrized Toeplitz sequences, Linear Algebra and its Application, 579:32-50, 2019.
- S. Hon, Circulant preconditioners for analytic functions of Hermitian Toeplitz matrices, Journal of Computational and Applied Mathematics, 352:328-340, 2019.
- S. Hon, Preconditioning for Toeplitz-related systems, DPhil thesis, University of Oxford, 2018.
- S. Hon, Optimal preconditioners for systems defined by functions of Toeplitz matrices, Linear Algebra and its Applications, 548:148-171, 2018.
- M. Hammerschmidt, J. Pabisiak, A. Perez-Gea, N. Julian, S. Hon, and S. Burger, Efficient finite-element-based numerical modelling of large sub-wavelength patterned optical structures, Proc. SPIE 10542, High Contrast Metastructures VII, 105421G, 2018.
- S. Hon and A. Wathen, Circulant preconditioners for analytic functions of Toeplitz matrices, Numerical Algorithms, 79:1211-1230, 2018.
- E. McDonald, S. Hon, J. Pestana, and A. Wathen, Preconditioning for nonsymmetry and time-dependence, pages 81-91. Springer International Publishing, Cham, 2017.
- K. Siegel, K. Altenburger, Y. Hon, J. Lin, and C. Yu, PuzzleCluster: a novel unsupervised clustering algorithm for binning DNA fragments in metagenomics, Current Bioinformatics, vol. 10, pp. 3-13, 2015.
- S. Hon, S. Leung, and H. Zhao, A cell based particle method for modeling dynamic interfaces, Journal of Computational Physics, 272:279-306, 2014.
Conference Experience or Talks
- International Conference on Preconditioning Techniques for Scientific and Industrial Applications (Preconditioning 2019), University of Minnesota, USA. (A 25-min talk)
- Applied and Computational Mathematics Seminar, National University of Singapore, Singapore. (An invited 60-min talk)
- SIAM Conference on Computational Science and Engineering 2019, Spokane Convention Center, USA. (
An invited 20-min talk for Computational Engineering Student Paper Prize)
- Department of Mathematics Seminar, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong. (An invited 60-min talk)
- The 3rd conference on Numerical Analysis and Scientific Computation with Applications 2018, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece. (A 20-min talk)
- SIAM UKIE National Student Chapter Conference 2018, University of Bath, United Kingdom. (A 20-min talk)
- Croucher UK Scholars Mini-Symposium 2018, London, United Kingdom. (An invited 10-min talk)
- Numerical Analysis Internal Seminar (Trinity Term 2018), University of Oxford, United Kingdom. (An invited 25-min talk)
- Summer School on Computational Methods for Inverse Problems in Imaging 2018, Lake Como School of Advanced Studies, Italy. (Selected to give a 15-min talk on my DPhil research at the student seminar)
- SIAM Conference on Applied Linear Algebra 2018, Hong Kong Baptist University, Hong Kong. (A 20-min talk)
- The 27th Biennial Numerical Analysis Conference 2017, University of Strathclyde, United Kingdom. (A 20-min talk)
- Numerical Analysis Internal Seminar (Trinity Term 2016), University of Oxford, United Kingdom. (An invited 25-min talk)
- Internal Seminar 2015, Department of Mathematics, HKUST, Hong Kong. (An invited 25-min talk)
- Numerical Analysis Internal Seminar (Michaelmas Term 2014), University of Oxford, United Kingdom. (An invited 25-min talk)
- The 6th international conference on Multiscale Materials Modelling 2012, Biopolis, Singapore. (A poster presentation)
- Image Processing Camp 2012, Hong Kong Virtual Institute on Imaging Sciences and Applications, Hong Kong. (A poster presentation)